Tuesday, November 16, 2010

[I had a lot to say today]

I realized something today. I'm a planner. I like to plan things. I like things to go my way. And I like to work from my schedule (disclaimer: this is not to be confused with being punctual.) I'm also a dreamer. I imagine so many different scenarios for how my life is going to pan out. And I get excited, no I get giddy, thinking about the world that's out there for me to see and the people out there for me to meet. I have plans, dreams, goals, aspirations. And I've always had them. Sometimes they change, sometimes they take a different course, but they are always present in my mind and in my heart.

But lately, I'm starting to wrestle with this part of who I am. Because I'm starting to notice that these plans I've made for myself and these dreams that I hold onto so tightly aren't as freeing as I thought they were.

I have to ask myself something. Are my plans and dreams hindering my walk with the Lord?

I think one of the most amazing things about God is his unpredictability. He shows up in the strangest places. He speaks to us when we least expect it. And he has plans and dreams for us. He's had them since before we were born. I've been reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and it's a flippin gold mine. It's packed FULL of all kinds of things I've never thought about before. Like this thought: God knew you and me before we existed. That's beautiful. And it's mind-blowing.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations."
Jeremiah 1:5

God's talking to Jeremiah here, but he's also speaking to each of our hearts (side note: I just want to point out how amazing it is that something written thousands of years ago feels like it was written just for me, just for what I'm struggling with here and now. God is good.) And he's talking about an intense kind of knowing. I was his before I even existed! I can't even wrap my mind around that.


And the thing is, my response to that intense kind of knowing is a lot like Jeremiah's.


Then I said,
"Ah Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, 
for I am only a youth." 
Jeremiah 1:6

It's daunting. How big God is. The guy who created the heavens and the earth. The galaxies, the stars, the sun. The guy who holds it all together. Yeah, he knows you like the back of his hand, because well, he created you with his own hands. Crazy. And it gets crazier.

But the LORD said to me,
"Do not say, 'I am only a youth';
for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you."
Jeremiah 1:7-8

God tells Jeremiah not to be afraid. Because He is with him. And I kind of picture Jeremiah going, that's it? You want me to lead all these nations and be a prophet for you, and that's the best advice you can give me? And I can relate. I throw my hands up and say "God I have no idea what you want me to do." A lot. But I've been thinking about it, and really "Do not be afraid for I am with you" are some of the most powerful, beautiful, perfect words I've ever been told.

Not only did the LORD of the universe create me and not only does he know everything about me, He is with me. In everything I do. In all of my plans, in all of my dreams. And that changes things. Because when I allow his spirit to dwell in my heart, when I trust that he knows me and loves me and is taking care of me, and when I align the dreams and plans I've made for myself with the dreams and plans he's made for me, I become a part of something so much bigger and better and beautiful than myself.

My plans and my dreams disappoint me. They let me down. Because more often than not, they don't work out, they don't come true. And it's frustrating to live from plan to plan and dream to dream. Where am I putting my trust when I do that? In myself? How can I do that when apart from my Father, I know I am nothing?


My mom said something to me a few months ago. I was upset. Things weren't working out how I wanted them to and I was tired. Tired of planning and dreaming only to be disappointed. I told my mom I felt like my life was a big mess. And this is what she said "God has already written your book. He could show it to you right now, and you would probably say 'God what are you doing? Why in the world does my story go like this?' But the point is, he wrote it. And he knows what he's doing. He just wants you to trust him." I had so much love for my mom in that moment. And I knew she was totally right.


God is planning and dreaming for me, with me, and in spite of me. He loves me. And he is calling me to let go of things that are hindering me. He is calling me to let him hold my heart.

Good grief! I had a lot to say today.
Thanks for reading, you dedicated blog follower you.

4 comments:

  1. i love you oh so much
    this was a really great post
    you are the best person in the world :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey im reading the same thing! Its an awesome book! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh katie. i'm so glad that you have thought about this stuff. i love thinking about how God has known us from before anyone else did. its so cool. i love you and i would love to keep talking to you about this stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're Mom must know you and love you an awful lot! I'm glad you feel close enough to talk to her like that. God is definitely a planner too. I think his plans might, just might, be better than ones we could ever dream. Keep on His path.

    <3
    ~M

    ReplyDelete