Monday, April 26, 2010

DQ

I know I complain about it a lot, but deep down (I really hate to admit this) I absolutely love working at dairy queen.


It's just really fun. I love making blizzards and cones and especially waffle bowls and peanut buster parfaits. And I love the people I work with cuz we goof off and we joke around and then when we get really busy, we rely on each other to back us up and save us from angry customers who didn't get their diet pepsi. I think the best part about dairy queen is when you make an ice cream cone for a little four year old kid and he gets this gigantic smile on his face like it's the greatest thing in the entire world. And you know that you totally just made that kid's day. It's so adorable! I also really love working at the cash register. Even though it's stressful at times - like when people order five kids meals with five different drinks and then three cheeseburgers but one with just pickles, one with just ketchup, and one plain - I just love that feeling of being in control of the ordering screens, it's like everybody has to listen to what I say. Do I sound like a psycho control freak or what? Well...if the shoe fits. And of course I love working with my best friend Becksies (in my defense, she's an even bigger psycho control freak than me hehe). There's something soothing about the rhythm of the fast food industry. Orders come in, orders go out. Clean the tables, sweep the floor, clean the blizzard machine. Cones, cups, sundaes, bags. $7.11 is your total, and we'll have that right out for you. It's like when I was little, I always imagined what it would be like to work at the restaruants I loved going to. For some reason I thought being a fast food worker was so glamorous. And, yeah it's lost most of that appeal. But some of it stuck, I think. It's like I'm on the inside. I know what goes in everything we serve and I know where the buttons are on the cash register and I know where we keep all the extra stuff in the supply room. I spent a whole summer learning the ins and outs of our little store, and now I know it like the back of my hand. Being on the inside is fun, seriously. And I'm sure I'll be sick of working soon enough, but for right now I'm really excited about making DQ my second home this summer. Gosh, I need to find a hobby.

4 comments:

  1. ahh! i love this post!! i totally feel ya on this entire thing. i love kids, customers, and bein on the inside! work is a love/hate relationship, but ultimately you get to have some fun. you are awesome and i love youuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much! I know I am a control freak, why do you think Kent likes me so much? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is disturbing on so many levels, rebecca.

    ReplyDelete