Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dance with My Beloved.

The fire of a deep yearning
and the coolness of a numbing pain
are at war within my soul.

Come you speak over me.

But I don’t want to dance today.
Your calm smile and the twinkling gleam
in your eyes pull me, unwillingly, to my feet.

You gaze at me
like I’m dressed for my wedding day,
and I feel suddenly shy.

Our fingers intertwine.
My limp hands seem unworthy
in the cradle of yours.

My clumsy feet begin to move
in time with your perfect rhythm.
You hum the melody of my favorite song.

Your strong arms spin me around,
and you paint a breathless smile
on my sullen face.

We pause.
I take a breath and nervously offer
my jagged pieces to you.

Blood rushes to my cheeks
as you press your lips against my hand,
and whisper you are mine.

Gracefully,
you make the stars appear and
restore my sweetly broken heart.

2 comments: