Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I have a thing for stars...

I love em, I love em, I love em.

That's probably why this is one of my favorite parts of the Bible:

Lift up your eyes and see,
who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,
calling them all by name,
by the greatness of his might,
and because he is strong in power,
not one is missing.

Isaiah 40:26

Goodness. It blows my mind imagining God calling out the stars by name. It's so beautiful to think about! Because, really that's how the stars appear you know? You notice one, and then another one, and pretty soon they're everywhere! And of course, what we city folk see isn't even the half of it. The darkest sky I've seen was in Arizona and that wasn't even the half of it! It makes me smile to think that's the kind of God I love, the one who created the stars and calls them all by name.

This verse makes me think of two things:

1. The part in The Magician's Nephew in the Chronicles of Narnia when Aslan is singing Narnia into existence. That seriously made me cry (C.S. Lewis has some serious power over my tear ducts, let me tell you).

"In the darkness something was happening at last. A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. There was hardly even a tune. But it was, beyond comparison, the most beautiful noise he had ever heard. It was so beautiful he could hardly bear it...Then two wonders happened at the same moment. One was that the voice was suddenly joined by the other voices; more voices than you could possibly count. They were in harmony with it, but far higher up the scale; cold, tingling, silvery voices. The second wonder was that the blackness overhead, all at once, was blazing with stars. They didn't come out gently one by one, as they do on a summer evening. One moment there had been nothing but darkness; next moment a thousand, thousand points of light leapt out -- single stars, constellations, and planets, brighter and bigger than any in our world. There were no clouds. The new stars and the new voices began at exactly the same time. If you had seen and heard it, as Digory did, you would have felt quite certain that it was the stars themselves that were singing, and that it was the First Voice, the deep one, which had made them appear and made them sing."

Perfect.

2. Something that God shows me about himself again and again and again. It's the fact that he is LORD of the universe. He created everything, he holds it together. He gave us breath, and he can take it away. The earth and everything in it is HIS. And yet, he loves each and every one of his creations. Intimately and overwhelmingly. He carved the mountains, he molded the trees, he paints the clouds, he calls the stars. And he loves us. It's like...hmm. A giant funnel (stay with me here). All the power and strength and fierce, fierce love of the LORD of the UNIVERSE is funneled down into the hearts of each of his children. This makes me feel unbelievably happy, but also completely dumbfounded. How do I respond to that kind of love? How do I even understand it?

Well, I can't. But that's another thing God shows me. He's so much bigger than my tiny little noggin can fathom :) And, that's pretty awesome. You know, that's another reason stars are so cool. He uses them as a colossal I LOVE YOU shining in the sky each and every night, just because he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment