Monday, February 15, 2010

Oh, how he loves us.



If his grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.


Ever since I heard the song "How He Loves" by David Crowder, I've been trying to wrap my head around what that line means. It's so difficult for me to visualize: sinking in an ocean of grace. Let me give it a shot...


Crashing and rolling, the waves surround us with their power, with their might. We can't catch our breath, we can't be still. Fighting it does no good, grasping for something to hold onto is useless. And even when we try to move upwards out of the turbulent, chaotic water, we still are sinking. That's not exactly a happy image to me. Who wants to drown in the ocean? The closest I've ever come to that feeling is going body surfing in Florida, but even then, my feet rarely left the ground. And the worst pain I had was saltwater up my nose. This is much, much more extreme. Sinking. What kind of thoughts go through the head of a sinking person? You are immobilized and surrounded and helpless against the power of the ocean. There is no hope for escape, no chance to fight. Just imagining being in that situation is so unfathomable to me. It's unsettling and uncomfortable and, mostly, completely terrifying.


And to say that this picture of sinking in an ocean is comparable to God's grace? That's...awesome. There's no other word for it. His grace is like an ocean that surrounds us with power and majesty and incomprehensible strength. It's so consuming and mighty and amazing that there is nothing we can ever do to fight it. No matter how hard we try to emerge from the chaos, from the tumultous waves, He doesn't let us go. God's grace is just like that. There is absolutely nothing we can do to separate ourselves from it. No amount of sin or evil has the ability to overcome it. He loves us too much. And the fact that he's willing to let us sink in an ocean of grace is proof of that. Yeah, it is pretty terrifying to think about. In fact, we can never truly understand how much he loves us. I think this analogy only begins to scratch the surface. His love is perfect and amazing and awesome, and I can say that over and over, but to feel how much he loves me? I can't even put that into words.


Being in the presence of God, and knowing that he surrounds me with love and grace more powerful than I could ever imagine, is the most satisfying experience on earth. And even when I believe in God with all my heart, I still find it hard to believe how much he loves me.


2 Corinthians 12:9

3 comments: